Friday, February 19, 2010

Wiki Work

I love adding content to our FHS Learning Commons wiki and watching it take shape as others build on it. This week the navigation changes on PBworks have thrown me a bit of a curve, and I'm interested to hear what other users think. See yesterday's post on the official PBworks blog, "Navigation Improvements are Live! As an administrator and user of several wikis I find the added tabs and breadcrumbs to be helpful, but I'm concerned it may look too busy for some of our community members (both teachers and students).

I'm still looking at others' best practices in designing wiki (and website) navigation. What are some of your favorites?

2 comments:

  1. Bryan posted this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing#Basic_text_formatting for the wikipedia style guide. Since it is the format most kids are used to it makes sense to use some of the same layout when you are just beginning to work with them on wikis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Barb! By reviewing the page I realized that I'd like to create an assignment to "become an editor on Wikipedia". I don't know that I want to go for a Wikipedia look-and-feel for our wiki, given the credibility issues it still has with many faculty members, but I might work out a mechanism for edit summaries, and make "How to edit a page" required reading.

    ReplyDelete