Sunday, February 28, 2010

Delicious deli.cio.us

My favorite thing about Delicious is the way I use it to trap information about sites I'd like to explore further or catalog in some way. I have a very quick process in place. One might argue that I should be doing more annotating, and I certainly could if I were using it more for teaching than for personal use.

Here's what I do: with the Delicious Add-On for Firefox, when I star a page to add it to my Firefox bookmarks (one click, inside the address bar) I'm prompted as to whether I'd also like to save the page to Delicious. I probably do so about 85% of the time. One click for 'Yes', and then a chance to add tags. Typically several of my existing tags will match the most popular tags for the page, so I just click on each of those, save and I'm done. If I like I can add an explanation in the notes as to where I found the link or why I'm bookmarking the site; if it hasn't been bookmarked by others I may check if this is indeed the link I want (and not one too deep on the site), and if it is, I'll enter a few summary tags which will suffice and then Save.

If I'm browsing in Chrome or IE I currently use an Add to Delicious bookmarklet and then proceed as above. I may install a Delicious Extension to Chrome soon.

I'm looking forward to building units with Diigo with some of my colleagues. For now, Delicious helps me to leave breadcrumbs as I explore the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment