Sunday, March 28, 2010

eReaders...

My primary experience with eReaders is with the Kindle. I've also used several computers to access and read eBooks, whether with the library OverDrive application, the Follett ebook reader, the Infobase web client or open-source content from Project Gutenberg.

My father has been very happy with the Kindle he got himself last Christmas, downloading fresh books from best-selling authors the day they're released. I won a first-generation Kindle for my library from our library region last summer as they distributed old tools from their Technology Sandbox. It's been a mixed blessing so far: I've downloaded free content (like that from Project Gutenberg) using the USB cable provided with the unit, but I've also spent an inordinate amount of time trying to set up a payment scheme with Amazon so that we can buy additional content for our students and teachers. While the vendor prefers payment by credit card, that is not an option for the schools, nor is the use of gift cards. I've received permission to use our billing account with an approved purchase order, but I've had difficulty making arrangements with Amazon Corporate services to link the Kindle to the account. That's true in part because they organize relationships by email address, and I am not the primary contact with them for our school district (nor should I be). I've heard from other school librarians that this is less difficult with other platforms, but I haven't given up yet.

1 comment:

  1. I do like the few kindles I have had a chance to play with, but I am a fool for a bigger screen. I am in the process of nagging for an ipad for Mother's Day. Keep your fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete